Born between 1997 to 2012, oldest Gen Z today would be 24 years old, read carefully, what we are going to tell you may decide your financial future in years to come.
If you have just started to earn or going to be soon, and you might have some plans for life, well, you may know by now, life doesn’t go as planned, always. Covid 19 and the stock market crash of 2020 is the most recent and vivid memory with many of us.
So, How should we take care of our Finances? What should we do to avoid black swan events like Covid from affecting our finances in future? How can we make sure that we are self sufficient!
Well the short answer is INVEST, Invest now!
Note- how early you invest matters more than the amount you Invest, because Compounding works best later down the time.
Lets discuss how to Invest when you are in your 20s:
- You must first save some portion of your money, in-fact one thing that we all get to learn from Covid is we should have an emergency fund (3 to 6 months of our expenses saved) before investing, so that we can rely on it incase of any unfortunate event. Read more about Emergency Fund here.
- Divide your Income into 3 Brackets, Save, Invest and Spend. A rule of thumb to start with is Save 20 bucks, Invest 30 bucks and Spend 50 bucks of your monthly income (more better approach would be 50, 20, 30; but consistency matter more than the amount you Invest)
- Spend low, live below your means, or expand your means. Yes I get that you may be fresh out of college and in your prime youth, thinking to party like crazy. While no body is saying, don’t party at all, but limit it as much as you can, the earlier you get into saving and investing rather than spending the better your quality of life will be. so shush the Party Animal within or just tone it down a bit. I know its hard to digest, But think do you want to live like king as you grow or you want to cut on your expenses and go take some huge loan to maintain all that family expenses that are inevitable at an older age. Somewhere down the line, I assume you would like to have your own house, a car and what not, so better you start investing now & be frugal, for more peace later in life.
- Do Invest in Stocks, own them as your own Business! Don’t stress too much on getting it right, everybody makes mistake and so will you.
Do you need to be conservative or do you need to go wild, all in?
I would suggest a balance approach, now that you have 30% of your Monthly Income to Invest, I would suggest you to divide it further into different assets like Crypto, Gold and Stocks (now if the money is very less to even divide you can alternate the asset class every month).
- 10% (of Investing Income) -> Cryptocurrency, where in further you should divide in Bitcoin & Etherum or at least a few coins to be safe and not miss the opportunity at the same time. What I would do would be to have 50% of my Money (of this 10%) in Bitcoin, 40% in Ethereum and 10% in Others (like Zcash, Dash, etc). You may like to read more about Cryptocurrency here.
- 5% (of Income) -> In Sovereign Gold Bond or some form of Gold at least, if the amount is too small you may consider something like ‘ICICIGOLD’ ETF which is currently priced at 44 rupees a share.
- Left with 85% of your Investing Income, you can go into Stocks directly. (In case that 85% of your income is exceptional, you are richie rich, I am glad you came here, you can further divide the amount into real estate and stocks!)
- 10 – 50% in Broad Market ETF that tracks the index like ICICINIFTY, HDFC Sensex Plan for India or VTI, VOO for US Markets. You can make your portfolio 50% of this in case you not at all care about markets and don’t have time even look at your portfolio once a month. As a matter of fact, the legendary Investor Warren Buffet himself suggest a low cost ETF for all Passive Investor. Read more about Index fund here.
- 25% – in Momentum stocks, these are basically risky Mid & Small cap stocks, and since you have time in your hand you can take some risk. You can use smallcase for this. Click here to know more.
- 10% on long term trend/idea you like for example Electric Vehicles, or The Great Indian Middle class, whatever you believe will be huge with time.
- 0 – 40% in Direct Stock picks, now seriously I want you to take some risk, look around buy stocks of brands you own, you consume like that ITC cookies you eat, or Hindustan Uniliver Soap you use or Bajaj Bike you Vroom vroom… (Disclaimer – we are not suggesting / advising any pick). Now this can be most volatile part of whole portfolio, but it can be most rewarding if the research is done right, also with time you get better in this. Always always avoid buying on someone’s advice do your own due diligence. If you are someone who believes more in the promise of blockchain & cryptocurrency than you may like to flip the percentages 10% here and 40% there 😉
To Recap, put numbers in to perspective, lets say you have 30,000 as the salary than 30% would be 9000, Put 900 of it in Crypto (450 BTC, 360 ETH, 90 other Coins), 450 in Gold, 7650 in Stocks!
Remember – If you can’t achieve the percentages listed above, let it be, a bit up or down here and there won’t matter.
The Idea is to Diversify, Invest Early and Be consistent. Time is your best friend.
Thank You for Reading, We wish you loads of Happiness, Success & Wealth in Life. ~Team RiteFinance.